Home is where the soup is... I mean heart. With winter coming to a close and spring being just around the corner, I thought I would share this soul warming recipe.
- 1 lbs thick cut bacon
- 3 tbsp bacon fat
- 4 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2.5 lbs Russet Potatoes cubed
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Just Give'r Savory Rub
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread bacon out evenly. Season with Just Give'r.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Reserve bacon fat once done.
- Pre heat soup pot on medium heat. Once heated add 3 tablespoons bacon fat, celery, onion and garlic. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. If onions begin to brown turn down heat, you do not want to fry the veggies.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine 1/4 bacon fat and 1/8 flour. Cook for 4 minutes stirring constantly. After the 4 minutes whisk in your heavy cream and milk. Continue to whisk until thickened then remove from heat.
- Add potatoes to the pot of veggies and continue to cook for 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock to the soup pot, it should cover the potatoes and veggies completely.
- Season with Just Give'r Savory Rub. I added roughly 3 tablespoons to the pot.
- Mix well and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes are up it's time to pour in the heavy cream mixture. Mix well and continue to simmer until potatoes are cooked through. Use a fork to poke the potatoes, once there is no resistance and the probe easily you are ready to serve.